Ken Jones wrote:

On Monday 05 April 2004 2:46 pm, Ken Jones wrote:

[snip]

I'd like any comments or votes on how this version
is using a POP3 type protocol.

I like it very much so far!

The way you put the user name and password on the same transaction is even better than following pop3 exactly and requiring user and pass commands for login.

I think it works pretty nicely. A single "." on a line by itself
represents End of File when sending or receiving multiple
lines of infomation.

That will work very well for parsing results. If you always check for ., +, and - as the first character of a result it should be pretty easy to keep from getting lost when parsing responses.

So the mod_user function would take it's options on additional lines, like:
moduser [EMAIL PROTECTED]
no_smtp
quota 1234
.
And the server would reply back
+OK
or
-ERR XXX error message

If I wanted to add no_smpt and no_dialup, do both go on the same line that specifies GID options, or is it one item per line. If the latter, it should not matter what order they are specified in.

Do you think the protocol is simple enough to make it easy to use?

It looks good so far. I will attempt to modify my sample PHP code that uses sockets to connect to the daemon and see how it goes...

I'd like to complete the full list of commands and responses for
a first version.

Any votes on which way of specifying directories would be easier
from the client program's point of view?
a) full paths
b) relative based on user or command

As long as you tell me where ~vpopmail is when I login, always using fully qualified paths will be easiest, I think. That way I don't have to change how I build commands depending on the access level of the user.

That requires the daemon to verify that requests point to the proper directories, but already does.