In order to relieve the load from our main mailserver we offloaded chkuser and virus scanning to a frontend mailserver. However, the front-end server is not getting a fast enough response on the chkuser query from the mysql server on the main mailserver and, at peaks loads, has started bouncing mails.

We would like to have a slave copy of the mysql vpopmail DB on the front-end mailserver to service chkuser queries directly. We need to keep the slave database in sync with the master DB and would like to use mysql replication. Can we get some opinions on how best to keep the DB's in sync? Does replication work OK? Do we need to upgrade to MySQL version 4? Or can we get away with rsync?

Thanks in advance for the advice and counsel.

Jeff Koch