That sounds like you have a dns issue. Make sure the server is
able to resolve properly and to test if you have a problem with
the mtu set the interface to a lower value. The lowest being 576
with something like ifconfig eth0 mtu 576. But from what you just
said, I would probably be looking at dns as well.

Shane