--- Jeremy Kitchen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On Friday 06 August 2004 02:18 am, Hugh Beaumont wrote:
> > qmail-pop3d runs as vpopmail - everything works except system account
> > password checking
>
> ls -l /etc/shadow
>
> nuff said.
>
> -Jeremy

Hi Jeremy,

Thanks for the, um, help :)

Obviously /etc/shadow is owned by root.root - this is why I assume there is know way
to do this
without running some part of the system as root or doing some funky group
manipulations (all of
which I would view as being a very bad idea).

However I thought that there may have been a prefered way among the group members of
handling this
problem. I assume that most people just run vpopmail using only vpopmail owned
accounts. However I
also assume that if anyone is using system accounts that they aren't too thrilled with
the idea of
running it as root. I was hoping to hear of of any other possible ways to get around
this.

Sincerely,

H.