At 9/7/2004 05:25 PM, you wrote:
Tom Harrison wrote:

At 9/7/2004 10:40 AM, you wrote:

On Tuesday 07 September 2004 12:37 pm, Tom Harrison wrote:
> > > I noticed after removing Comcast as the relay that the queue began
> > > filling with doublebounces, addressed to "[EMAIL PROTECTED]", and
> > > the log indicated tons of entries like this:
> > >
> > > [...] to remote [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> > >
> > > [...] vpopmail knows that ts5.com is a local domain [...]
> >
> >put mail.ts5.com into locals, or alias it to your ts5.com virtualdomain.
>
> OK. I put "mail.ts5.com" into locals. Should all the local domains be
> there? I note that the vpopmail instructions say that vadddomain will
> modify locals, but on our system locals remained empty. New result of
> qmail-showctl is below.

man qmail-send. understand the roles of the locals and virtualdomains files.

I had read it, and now have read it again. Your first advice (above) told me to violate those instructions, which I did. I have undone that change and added what I think should be the correct definitions for doublebounce (see qmail-showctl result below)

In short, if the domain is handled by vpopmail, you don't want it in locals.

OK, agreed. Just curious, why did you suggest it the first time? Please forgive me if I somehow unconsciously misled you in my first posting, though I thought I disclosed everything needed....

So, the problem persists, though it has changed slightly, which I think means that the virtualdomains entry "mail.ts5.com:ts5.com" is at least directing the mail to the local processing. Error messages now are of the form:

@40000000413e45e20f52c484 new msg 3794192
@40000000413e45e20f52dbf4 info msg 3794192: bytes 3104 from <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> qp 24395 uid507
@40000000413e45e210eeb58c starting delivery 1277: msg 3794192 to local [EMAIL PROTECTED]
@40000000413e45e210eed0e4 status: local 1/10 remote 3/20
@40000000413e45e2116de80c delivery 1277: success: user_does_not_exist,_but_will_deliver_to_/home/vpopmail/domains/ts5.com/other/Maildir//did_0+0+1/

@40000000413e45e2116e074c status: local 0/10 remote 3/20
@40000000413e45e2116e0b34 end msg 3794192

"postmaster" does indeed exist as a user folder in the domain ts5.com, of course.

What am I missing?

Tom Harrison

***** qmail-showctl results *****

[EMAIL PROTECTED] bin]# ./qmail-showctl
qmail home directory: /var/qmail.
user-ext delimiter: -.
paternalism (in decimal): 2.
silent concurrency limit: 120.
subdirectory split: 23.
user ids: 501, 502, 503, 0, 504, 505, 506, 507.
group ids: 501, 502.

badmailfrom: (Default.) Any MAIL FROM is allowed.

bouncefrom: (Default.) Bounce user name is MAILER-DAEMON.

bouncehost: (Default.) Bounce host name is mail.ts5.com.

concurrencylocal: (Default.) Local concurrency is 10.

concurrencyremote: (Default.) Remote concurrency is 20.

databytes: (Default.) SMTP DATA limit is 0 bytes.

defaultdomain: Default domain name is mail.ts5.com.

defaulthost: (Default.) Default host name is mail.ts5.com.

doublebouncehost: (Default.) 2B recipient host: mail.ts5.com.

doublebounceto: 2B recipient user: postmaster.

envnoathost: (Default.) Presumed domain name is mail.ts5.com.

helohost: (Default.) SMTP client HELO host name is mail.ts5.com.

idhost: (Default.) Message-ID host name is mail.ts5.com.

localiphost: (Default.) Local IP address becomes mail.ts5.com.

locals:

me: My name is mail.ts5.com.

percenthack: (Default.) The percent hack is not allowed.

plusdomain: Plus domain name is mail.ts5.com.

qmqpservers: (Default.) No QMQP servers.

queuelifetime: Message lifetime in the queue is 86400 seconds.

rcpthosts:
SMTP clients may send messages to recipients at ts5.com.
SMTP clients may send messages to recipients at ts4.com.
SMTP clients may send messages to recipients at christy9.com.

morercpthosts: (Default.) No effect.

morercpthosts.cdb: (Default.) No effect.

smtpgreeting: (Default.) SMTP greeting: 220 mail.ts5.com.

smtproutes:
SMTP route: aol.com:SMTP.*****.Net

timeoutconnect: (Default.) SMTP client connection timeout is 60 seconds.

timeoutremote: (Default.) SMTP client data timeout is 1200 seconds.

timeoutsmtpd: (Default.) SMTP server data timeout is 1200 seconds.

virtualdomains:
Virtual domain: ts5.com:ts5.com
Virtual domain: ts4.com:ts4.com
Virtual domain: christy9.com:christy9.com
Virtual domain: mail.ts5.com:ts5.com

defaultdelivery: I have no idea what this file does.

concurrencyincoming: I have no idea what this file does.

rcpthosts.lock: I have no idea what this file does.

virtualdomains.lock: I have no idea what this file does.

locals.lock: I have no idea what this file does.

-Jeremy

[EMAIL PROTECTED] ++ www.inter7.com ++ 866.528.3530 ++ 815.776.9465 int'l
kitchen @ #qmail #gentoo on EFnet ++ scriptkitchen.com/qmail

Based on "Virtual domain: mail.ts5.com:ts5.com " it would appear that you created an alias for [EMAIL PROTECTED] to go to t5.com? Curious that mail.t5.com does not show up in your RCPTHOSTS file.

But it looks like there is an account called [EMAIL PROTECTED] that may be your catchall acount perhaps?

Just asking.... be kind ;-)

You meant to write "ts5", not "t5", correct?

I guess my confusion stems from the belief that the domain "ts5.com" should cover the sub-domain "mail.ts5.com".

Should there be an additional entry for "mail.ts5.com" in rcpthosts?

Tom Harrison

Jake