Can anyone shed some light on this? I've got maildirsize files randomly flipping to root ownership. I'm a bit confused as to how this could happen - all delivery is done by vpopmail, and none of that stuff runs as root. That leaves courier-imap/pop, which do run as root.

So I posted to the courier list (asbestos on, check...) and Mr. Sam replied that this is a "known bug in vpopmail". Looking through the vpopmail archives I don't see any sign of this. I do see a few threads about size miscalculations, but that's an entirely different issue.

Any ideas?

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Thu, 17 Feb 2005 18:30:43 -0500
From: Sam Varshavchik <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: [Courier-imap] perms on maildirsize

Charles Sprickman writes:

I'm running into a problem with courier-imap.  We've had some problems
with quota display via IMAP where there was no quota or usage reported.
I'd dug through the contents of the maildirsize file and all looked good.
But one thing I missed is that on all the "problem" customers the
maildirsize file was owned by root.

The only thing that touches these maildirs that starts with root perms is
courier imap/pop.  Any ideas on why it's flipping ownership?

I'm running Courier 3.0.8 on FreeBSD 4.9.  Delivery is qmail/vpopmail and
everything there runs out of tcpserver as the vpopmail user.

This bug was previously reported in vpopmail. The vpopmail mailing list is thataway → .