Nah.  You did it the right way.  That's how I would have done it.  I
just moved everything to a new server and did it by exporting and
importing the SQL data.  I recall doing a mysql to PostgreSQL conversion
once and just did an export and import.

Is there anything in the log files?  /var/log/mail/info or
/var/log/mail/errors ... how about in /var/log/qmail/pop3d/current?

If vuserinfo is working, then your database hooks in vpopmail are all
ok.  How about doing a make clean and make and make install again?  Then
restart qmail.

If you're using daemontools
   svc -du /service/qmail-pop3d

How about if you telnet to the server on port 110 and try to auth by
hand?  You sure it's not a Thunderbird issue?

If you're doing IMAP, then try recompiling the authdaemon.  I believe
it's a separate package now from Courier.

I had some issues at one point and I ended up deleting everything in
~vpopmail/etc ~vpopmail/include ~vpopmail/bin and ~vpopmail/lib then
rebuilt vpopmail and rebuilt authdaemon.  Then it all worked.

Charlie