any idea how to use it then?

if you run a

#./configure --help

it lists this on the bottom:

Some influential environment variables:
CC C compiler command
CFLAGS C compiler flags
LDFLAGS linker flags, e.g. -L<lib dir> if you have libraries in a nonstandard directory <lib dir>
CPPFLAGS C/C++ preprocessor flags, e.g. -I<include dir> if you have headers in a nonstandard directory <include dir>
CPP C preprocessor

Use these variables to override the choices made by `configure' or to help
it to find libraries and programs with nonstandard names/locations.

so would you not use it within the ./configure "flags" ? thats what i was thinking ... however that was my best guess ....

--marco