Hi there,

The persistent connections are part of newer Courier-authlib, I don't
think it's a bug, but a feature.

The SMTP AUTH connection (handled directly by vchkpw in my setup) is as
you described, a quick 1/4 second connection that disappears from the
MySQL processlist immediately.

Courier-authlib, using vchkpw, is what is sending queries to both MySQL
servers.

I too have Vpopmail configured to log to files, and not to MySQL.
Auth_logging is on, but should be sent to syslog

I suppose I should send this issue to the Courier list. Hopefully they
can add more insight as to how courier-authlib uses vchkpw and the two
MySQL connection strings available in vpopmail.mysql.

vpopmail directory = /var/vpopmail
               uid = 89
               gid = 89
     roaming users = OFF --disable-roaming-users (default)
 password learning = OFF --disable-learn-passwords (default)
     md5 passwords = ON  --enable-md5-passwords (default)
      file locking = ON  --enable-file-locking (default)
vdelivermail fsync = ON  --enable-file-sync
     make seekable = ON  --enable-make-seekable (default)
      clear passwd = ON  --enable-clear-passwd (default)
 user dir hashing  = ON  --enable-users-big-dir (default)
address extensions = ON  --enable-qmail-ext
          ip alias = OFF --disable-ip-alias-domains (default)
     domain quotas = ON  --enable-domainquotas
       auth module = mysql --enable-auth-module=mysql
 mysql replication = ON  --enable-mysql-replication
     mysql logging = OFF --disable-mysql-logging (default)
      mysql limits = OFF --disable-mysql-limits (default)
      MySQL valias = OFF --disable-valias (default)
          auth inc = -I/usr/include/mysql
          auth lib = -L/usr/lib/mysql  -lmysqlclient -lz -lm
  system passwords = OFF --disable-passwd (default)
        pop syslog = show successful and failed login attempts
                     --enable-logging=y
      auth logging = ON  --enable-auth-logging (default)
all domains in one SQL table = --enable-many-domains (default)

I too have seen this behavior. Running vpopmail 5.4.7 with everything
built from source. I am still using courier 3.0.8, so I believe this
issue to be in vpopmail somewhere, most likely vchkpw. I do not have
logging going to the mysql server, so in essence there should be no need
to write. It is frustrating to have a cluster built using replication
and then still have a single point of failure. If my mysql master goes
down for whatever reason, then it doesn't matter how many other hosts I
have to handle requests or how solid my file server is, authentication
will fail and my users can't get in.

I have not seen any notes in the change logs about this being fixed or
else I just flat out missed it. Can't say that I have problems with
"persistent" connections, however, I would like to see true use of the
read/write setup. Would be happy to supply more info.

Brian