I use NFS for my vpopmail directories, and haven't seen this..

I'm assuming you're using CDB files for auth; that means the DB files are
all on NFS.  If you don't have your root mapped properly, you won't be able
to create files.  Try using -maproot=0 (freebsd, others may be similar) in
your exports on the NFS server, and re-mount the NFS mountpoint; see if that
helps.

Andre