Tom Collins wrote:
On Aug 22, 2005, at 1:47 PM, Robin Bowes wrote:

Hi,

Can someone please summarise the current status of the various versions of vpopmail?

I'm managing the 5.4 branch, Ken Jones, Rick Widmer and others are managing the 5.5 branch.

Hmmm, are these independent development efforts or do you work together?

I need to integrate vpopmaild into the 5.4 branch, along with some other changes (most likely).

Is there any particular purpose for having two branches, e.g. one stable, the other more experimental? Or could you just not get on? :)

From SourceForge, 5.4.12 seems to be the latest dev version

By date, yes.

However, I see a v5.5.3 is available from inter7.com and on 29th July, Ken Jones said in a post [1] to the vchkpw list:

"Excellent. I'll update that 5.5.3 test version."

[1] http://www.mail-archive.com/vchkpw@inter7.com/msg22188.html

Then in a post about 5.5.3 on 19th August, Tom Collins said:

"5.4.12's vdelivermail is newer than all other releases..."

Correct. 5.5 should include most everything that was in 5.4.9, but none of the changes between 5.4.9 and 5.4.12.

OK, so is there a plan to merge the branches at some stage to produce a single version?

The reason I'm asking is that I currently use vpopmaild but I must have an "old" version from a previous 5.5.3 install as I'm currently using vpopmail 5.4.12 which doesn't have vpopmaild. I'd like to write a plugin for qpsmtpd that talks to vpopmaild to validate local delivery addresses.

Is this something vpopmaild is currently capable of? e.g. check the validity of an email address and return the "real" delivery address

For example, when supplied with the address "[EMAIL PROTECTED]", check for things like qmail extensions being enabled, whether [EMAIL PROTECTED] exists, is there a catchall for the domain, etc.

Assume extensions are enabled, and the following users are defined:

[EMAIL PROTECTED]
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

This is what I'd expect to see returned

email address           "real address"
======================  ================
[EMAIL PROTECTED]/com     [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[EMAIL PROTECTED]       [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[EMAIL PROTECTED]      [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[EMAIL PROTECTED]  [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Is there any chance that all the latest code could be syncronised into a new dev. version? Or is CVS up-to-date with *all* the latest code?

I'll work on bringing vpopmaild into 5.4, and try to determine what else the 5.4 branch is missing from 5.5.

Would it be a good idea to consider why there are two branches and work towards bringing them together?

What version is the CVS on sourceforge tracking?

Thanks,

R.

--
http://robinbowes.com