on 3/23/06 9:40 PM, Tom Collins <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On Mar 23, 2006, at 7:09 PM, Kurt Bigler wrote:
>> on 10/18/05 10:35 PM, Tom Collins <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>>
>>> Try upgrading to something in the 5.4 series.  vdeldomain in 5.4 will
>>> correctly delete just the alias, and won't touch the real domain
>>> behind
>>> it.
>>
>> Incorrect.  Very nasty bug:
>>
>> I'm using vpopmail 5.4.10 and just did vdeldomain to delete an alias
>> domain.
>> It deleted the original domain and left the alias domain untouched (but
>> useless).
>>
>> Lost everything in that domain, I guess, including all users emails.
>> Fortunately there weren't many users on that domain, and possibly no
>> mail
>> since most users are forwarded elsewhere.
>
> Are you sure you were deleting the alias?

I'm sure.  I triple checked.  I have a text file of the shell session.  I've
attached a contiguous unedited excerpt from the shell session.

I left things in the state they were in after the delete, haven't recreated
anything yet.  If there's anything on my disk you want me to look for, let
me know.  Also, I can try to replicate it after recreating the domain.  But
I'd rather not upgrade right now if at all possible.

> I deleted an alias domain
> last week and it was fine.  I just tried on a development server, and
> it was fine as well.
>
> I think that Rick had been working on changed to vdeldomain where it
> would warn you if you were deleting a domain that still had aliases,
> but I'm not sure where that code is...

Did you catch that I'm using 5.4.10?  Since posting I noticed Jeremy
Kister's post in the recent "delete" thread in which he said 5.4.10 is
"broken".

Thanks.

-Kurt

vps# cd domains
vps# ls
.dir-control                    carolroghair.com
middendorfbreath.org
breathalive.net                 greenmanalive.com
middendorfbreathwork.com
breathcenter.org                middendorfatem.com
relevantlearning.com
breathexperience.com            middendorfatem.org
thenaturalbreath.com
breathhost.net                  middendorfatemarbeit.com        twomarthas.com
breathsense.com                 middendorfatemarbeit.org
breathspan.com                  middendorfbreath.com
vps# ll domains
ls: domains: No such file or directory
vps# ll
total 13
-rw-------   1 vpopmail  vchkpw    34 Dec 18 21:09 .dir-control
drwx------   4 vpopmail  vchkpw   512 Mar 15 21:17 breathalive.net
drwx------   3 vpopmail  vchkpw  1024 Sep 25 18:28 breathcenter.org
drwx------   5 vpopmail  vchkpw  1024 Mar 15 21:15 breathexperience.com
drwx------   5 vpopmail  vchkpw   512 Nov 19 22:34 breathhost.net
drwx------  23 vpopmail  vchkpw  1024 Mar 15 21:03 breathsense.com
drwx------   5 vpopmail  vchkpw   512 Jun 30  2003 breathspan.com
drwx------   4 vpopmail  vchkpw   512 Dec 15  2004 carolroghair.com
drwx------   4 vpopmail  vchkpw   512 Apr  6  2005 greenmanalive.com
lrwxr-xr-x   1 root      vchkpw    42 Oct 10  2001 middendorfatem.com ->
/var/vpopmail/domains/middendorfbreath.com
lrwxr-xr-x   1 root      vchkpw    40 Oct 10  2001 middendorfatem.org ->
/var/vpopmail/domains/middendorfatem.com
lrwxr-xr-x   1 root      vchkpw    40 Oct 10  2001 middendorfatemarbeit.com ->
/var/vpopmail/domains/middendorfatem.com
lrwxr-xr-x   1 root      vchkpw    46 Oct 10  2001 middendorfatemarbeit.org ->
/var/vpopmail/domains/middendorfatemarbeit.com
drwx------   5 vpopmail  vchkpw   512 May 17  2005 middendorfbreath.com
lrwxr-xr-x   1 root      vchkpw    42 Oct 10  2001 middendorfbreath.org ->
/var/vpopmail/domains/middendorfbreath.com
lrwxr-xr-x   1 root      vchkpw    42 Sep 22  2001 middendorfbreathwork.com ->
/var/vpopmail/domains/middendorfbreath.com
drwx------   3 vpopmail  vchkpw   512 Jan 21  2003 relevantlearning.com
drwx------   3 vpopmail  vchkpw   512 Sep 25  2001 thenaturalbreath.com
drwx------   4 vpopmail  vchkpw   512 Dec 18 21:26 twomarthas.com
[...]
vps# pwd
/var/vpopmail/domains
vps# cd ../bin
vps# echo $PATH
/sbin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/games:/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/X11R6/bin:/root/bin
vps# ls
clearopensmtp           valias                  vdelivermail            vipmap
                vpasswd
dotqmail2valias         vchangepw               vdelivermail.kkb.bak    vkill
                vpopbull
vaddaliasdomain         vchkpw                  vdeloldusers
vmkpasswd               vqmaillocal
vadddomain              vconvert                vdeluser
vmoddomlimits           vsetuserquota
vadduser                vdeldomain              vdominfo
vmoduser                vuserinfo
vps# vdeldomain
vdeldomain: Command not found.
vps# ./vdeldomain middendorfatemarbeit.com
vps# ll ../domains
total 12
-rw-r--r--   1 vpopmail  vchkpw    34 Mar 23 21:48 .dir-control