The reason
I mention this is that I'm having a bugger of a job getting
my code that implements skel dirs to work with vqadmin - it
works fine from the command line (as root) but I get a
permission denied error when executing from vqadmin.
Have you thought at all about just wrapping your qmail programs executed from tcpserver and doing it at run-time instead of account creation?

Example that I use for creating an IMAP folder structure for use with bincimap
######### /var/qmail/bin/linkwrapper #########
#!/bin/sh
test -d IMAPdir || mkdir IMAPdir
test -e IMAPdir/INBOX || ln -sf ../Maildir IMAPdir/INBOX
exec $@

Then in my service run file, I have
tcpserver <parameters and programs> \
    /home/vpopmail/bin/vchkpw \
    /var/qmail/bin/linkwrapper \
    /var/qmail/bin/bincimapd

I don't see why you couldn't do the same with your pop daemon or smtp daemon to do some basic parameters (and maybe extend it to keep additional information).

Something to consider.  On a run of qmail-smtpd, test the timestamp of a file to the cdb file and rebuild if needed.

-M