On Jun 24, 2007, at 7:44 PM, Tom Collins wrote:

On Jun 24, 2007, at 2:35 PM, Rick Widmer wrote:
Selling a commercial product that includes vpopmail code is exactly what the GPL license is designed to prevent. Why should you get to sell our labor without paying us?

What if QmailAdmin had been written as a proprietary, commercial app? Would the GPL have prevented someone from doing that?

IANAL, but I don't think that linking libvpopmail and using it's API would necessarily force a program to be GPL.

--
Tom Collins  -  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Vpopmail - virtual domains for qmail: http://vpopmail.sf.net/

Yeah, that what I really need answered is the question that Tom Collins asks, what if QmailAdmin had been proprietary.

Rick:

I am not planning on using any vpopmail code, just linking against the library and using it's API.

I have looked at vpopmaild, and have not found it satisfactory to what I would like it to do.

thank you for your answers, if anyone else wants to comment on the thread, please do not hesitate to do so. Further down the line of this project I will hire a lawyer to assess what we need to do. Most likely it will result into us considering a different system, or a home grown one. As of right now we are testing different implementations and deciding on the best one to choose for the project we are working with.

Bert JW Regeer