Are you sending mail from an authorized host? Either explicitly via
tcp.smtp or via SMTP-Auth or POP-before-SMTP/IMAP-before-SMTP?

From: Bogdan Motoc - CRC []
Sent: September-02-09 7:54 AM
Subject: Re: [vchkpw] Re: chkuser random rejects

The assign file has all the domains that have been added via
I only have one set of users and the other domains are aliases to
Here's what that file looks like:

Removing ",QMAILQUEUE="/var/qmail/bin/simscan"" from tcp.smtp and doing
qmailctl cdb gives this error when sending to a legitimate user:

Remote host said: 553 sorry, that domain isn't in my list of allowed
rcpthosts (#5.5.3 - chkuser)

Eric Shubert wrote:

What's in your /var/qmail/users/assign file?

Bogdan Motoc - CRC wrote:

I'm really sorry about bothering you again about this problem, but I'm
really at wits' end here.
I have removed the mail.domain.tld from every file I could find.
Now mail is not received at all. At least now it's consistent, which is
good. No more flapping. (have to keep my sense of humor while users
can't receive any mail)
I think chkuser can be ruled out as the problem. Sending to
legitimateu...@domain.tld produces a bounce with the error listed below
(#5.1.1), while sending to nonexistentu...@domain.tld makes chkuser kick
in and reject the message as it should as soon as I type rcpt to:
511 sorry, no mailbox here by that name (#5.1.1 - chkuser)
So my conclusion is that qmail accepts the message but when it wants to
deliver it locally to the vpopmail user, something causes it to bounce.

Can you give me any advice on how to test the path traversed by the
message once it is accepted by qmail-smtpd ?

Bogdan Motoc - CRC wrote:

I seem to have broken things really bad. I tried to make mail.domain.tld
an alias of domain.tld
Now authentication only works from time to time.
The bounce says:

<u...@domain.tld> <mailto:u...@domain.tld> :

Of course, that account exists.

Where are domain aliases stored? Can I manually delete a domain alias?
I'm using vpopmail 5.4.17 with users stored in a cdb file.

Tonix (Antonio Nati) wrote:

Bogdan Motoc - CRC ha scritto:

Tonix (Antonio Nati) wrote:

Bogdan Motoc - CRC ha scritto:

This most probably is not a vpopmail problem, but a chkuser one.
The support page of chkuser
) points to this mailing list, so that's why I'm posting this here.

chkuser is simply using basic qmail checks, giving a better log. It is
giving back what qmail would give back.
Check carefully qmail configuration and files availability.

nothing changed between the two events (rejecting a legitimate message
and allowing a similar one)
all files are world-readable, except the .lock files

        The mail server in question runs:
        netqmail 1.05
        vpopmail 5.4.17
        chkuser 2.0.8b
        simscan 1.1

install chkuser 2.09, has more checks, new features and solves minor
bugs (not related to your question).

hard to do on a production server. I've set this one up more than two
years ago, and I remember there was a rigid order in which patches were
supposed to be applied to qmail, and some of them had to be manually
added (thinking of simscan, smtp-auth, chkuser)

It should be easy. Copy new chkuser files over old files, check
chkuser_settings.h (some have changed) and recompile.

In the meantime, I've googled a bit and found an alternative. I'll post
a "what's your experience with ... ?" message later about it.

Messages sent to existing and not overquota users on this server
randomly (as far as I can tell) are rejected with this message:

Remote host said: 553 sorry, that domain isn't in my list of allowed
rcpthosts (#5.5.3 - chkuser)

I've checked and double checked that the user exists and there was no
typo when entering the destination email address.
Sending again after a while to the same user ends up with the message
into his mailbox without any issues.
The server's /var/log/qmail/smtpd/current log file shows this about the
rejected message:

2009-07-24 12:28:19.035629500 CHKUSER rejected relaying: from
<sender's_email_address::> remote <remote_mail_server:unknown:remote_ip>
rcpt <valid_u...@mail.domain.tld> <mailto:valid_u...@mail.domain.tld>  :
client not allowed to relay

The mailboxes on this machine are all respecting this pattern:

You say general pattern is u...@domain.tld, while log says
Are you sure 100% domain names do not include blank, DEL, strange not
visible chars? It could happen when spaces or strange invisible
characters are inside mail addresses.

Yes, the recipient mail address I've typed correctly (I double-checked
it, having faced stupid users before who think that spaces in email
adresses can't hurt that much, can they?)
Basically, i replied to a user on that server and got the bounce back
imidiately.  Cursed at the binary gods for allowing  functions to return
different results when fed the same input, had to leave the office, and
when i got back replied again to the same message, checked and it
arrived in the users's mailbox. The log shows this:
2009-07-24 18:09:48.389030500 CHKUSER accepted rcpt: from
<my_email_address::> remote <my_email_server:unknown:my_ip> rcpt
<u...@domain.tld> <mailto:u...@domain.tld>  : found existing recipient

Check if any limit is reached. Like max open files or max MySQL
connections. It could happen in a peaik moment you reach some limits.
chkuser version you have does not handle mysql refused connections,
while 2.0.9 does.

What i don't understand is why vpopmail is sometimes being asked to
authenticate /u...@domain.tld/ and sometimes /u...@mail.domain.tld/ ?

probably some users put the wrong username in Outlook... missing the
domain part, so automatically you have the "me" file added to address...

Of course, possible solutions to my problem are:
1. getting rid of "mail." part completely
2. making mail.domain.tld an alias of domain.tld, so both would work

Thanks a lot for any ideeas you might have.

The /var/qmail/control/me file lists this: mail.domain.tld, which is
also the MX for domain.tld

/var/qmail/control/rcpthosts lists both domain.tld and mail.domain.tld
/var/qmail/control/virtualdomains shows domain.tld
/var/qmail/control/locals shows only mail.domain.tld
/var/qmail/control/defaultdomain only shows domain.tld

What could be wrong, but most of all, why is the error occurring only
rarely (but often enough to be annoying)?

Thanks in advance for any answers you might be able to provide.

Bogdan Motoc

        in...@zioni            Interazioni di Antonio Nati

        in...@zioni            Interazioni di Antonio Nati