The desired process is what the community decides it is. A good measure of success of the process is where people don't say, wow, where did that come from. Its always a balance to figure out how to be most productive and be community oriented at the same time. Keeping a number of other folks informed about what your doing outside of code drops feels like chugging through mud at times. Alan's suggestions of using JIRA was exactly that, just a suggestion. The community needs to determine what they like and they can always change it over time as the community dynamics change as well.