They filed 2 trademark claims for "VMWARE VCLOUD" on 8/28/08:
http://tarr.uspto.gov/servlet/tarr?regser=serial&entry=77558068
http://tarr.uspto.gov/servlet/tarr?regser=serial&entry=77558072

Interestingly enough, another firm (VoiceCloud Corp.) filed for "vCloud" on 9/16/08, the day after VMWare's announcement:
http://tarr.uspto.gov/servlet/tarr?regser=serial&entry=77571520

-Andy

Andy Kurth
Virtual Computing Lab