On May 27, 2009, at 3:58 PM, Lawrence Rosen wrote:

From those on the legal-discuss list, there's one thing NCSU would like to get clarification on. If NCSU more clearly donates the name "VCL" to Apache, would NCSU still be allowed to run a service that contains "VCL"
in the name of the service?

Yes. We can't and won't expressly trademark "VCL".

NCSU doesn't need to donate anything, merely acquiesce in our calling our
software "Apache VCL".

Let's say that IBM donates Websphere to the ASF. They acquiesce in our calling our software "Apache Webshpere". Would it still be ok if they had IBM Websphere?

Regards,
Alan

/Larry (with ASF attorney hat on)

-----Original Message-----
From: Josh Thompson [mailto:josh_thomp...@ncsu.edu]
Sent: Wednesday, May 27, 2009 8:07 AM
To: legal-disc...@apache.org
Cc: vcl-dev@incubator.apache.org
Subject: Re: VCL project name

Bump.

Is there anyone out there that could give us some direction about our
project
name?

Thanks,
Josh

On Monday May 04, 2009, Josh Thompson wrote:
To the legal-discuss list:

From those on the legal-discuss list, there's one thing NCSU would like
get clarification on. If NCSU more clearly donates the name "VCL" to Apache, would NCSU still be allowed to run a service that contains "VCL"
in
the name of the service?

Whether or not the Apache project name changes, the NCSU site
(http://vcl.ncsu.edu) will be updated to clearly reflect that the code
powering the service is from Apache.  As a bit of background, while
development of VCL was at NCSU, NCSU had no problems with other
universities using the code to run a service named "VCL" at their own
site.
It was just asked that somewhere on the site, NCSU was credited with
the
development of VCL. When moving the code to Apache, it was assumed that this same arrangement would be allowed (i.e. Apache credited with the development of VCL). It's okay if that's not the case, but it would be
helpful to have some legal reasons explaining why.

To the vcl-dev list:

If using "VCL" in the name of the service would not be allowed, what do people in the VCL community think of changing the Apache project name to
VCloud? That name was previously mentioned by Sam in this message:

http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/incubator-vcl-
dev/200903.mbox/<001
701c99c40$87f1a390$97d4eab0$%40edu>

Thanks,