On Tuesday November 10, 2009, Alan D. Cabrera wrote:
> On Nov 5, 2009, at 8:13 AM, Josh Thompson wrote:
> >
> > Ralph,
> >
> > Thanks for the feedback - more discussion inline.
> >
> > On Wednesday November 04, 2009, Ralph Goers wrote:
> >> Usual qualifications - I am not on the legal committee so this is
> >> just
> >> my personal opinion.

> >> http://www.apache.org/legal/src-headers.html should provide the
> >> answers to where the attributions should appear. I like that you have
> >> a script to install them.
> >>
> >> My biggest concern is the one you didn't ask about. ASF policy is
> >> that
> >> you can't have a required dependency on something with a category X
> >> license (see http://www.apache.org/legal/resolved.html#category-x),
> >> so
> >> you cannot distribute VCL until all the dependencies on these are
> >> optional or are replaced with something with a compatible license. I
> >> am also concerned with the GPL dependencies because of the FSF's
> >> definition of what a derivative work is. If you have a required
> >> dependency on something with a GPL license your code must also be
> >> licensed under the GPL, not the Apace license (which is why it isn't
> >> allowed).
> >
> > There's one part of VCL (notifications via Jabber) that's not really
> > used that
> > is the cause of a chunk of the additional perl modules.  We'll
> > remove that
> > and see if there are any modules left that are not released under
> > perl's
> > license.
> >
> > However, even given that, since the code is written in perl and PHP,
> > those
> > interpreters are required to run VCL.  PHP's license is listed as
> > okay on the
> > page you linked to above.  perl is released under the Artistic
> > License, which
> > is not listed on that page at all.
> >
> > Is ASF okay with the Artistic License?  If not, things are looking
> > pretty
> > bleak for our project...

> >> Dependencies required for a specific platform are generally OK.  See
> >> http://www.apache.org/legal/resolved.html#platform . This doesn't
> >> document
> >> how to explain them. I would presume this
> >> should go in the NOTICE file.
> >>
> >> Ralph
> >
> > Okay - we'll list them in the NOTICE file.
>
> Josh, just so we are on the same page in terms of what still needs to
> be done, can you create Jira issues that list what needs to be done on
> this front for the release?
>

> Regards,
> Alan

I've created VCL-264 to list what needs to be done.

Andy pointed out the "System Requirements" section a little more than halfway
down this page:

http://www.apache.org/legal/3party.html

Based on that, we're restating that all of the perl and mysql requirements
are "System Requirements".  That will handle the bits that are GPL/LGPL
licensed.

Josh

- --
Josh Thompson