Hi,

I am wondering if maybe VCL can already do this... Sometimes we need to take our VCL system offline for maintenance of some aspect. Generally we know about these times well in advance. We'd like to be able to block out all our nodes so they can't be reserved during that future maintenance window. I was imagining I could create a web-form where someone could set the start and end times and even enter a message that would be posted within the VCL web applications for our users so they know about the upcoming downtime.

I've looked at block allocations and they don't see quite right because they want to install an image on the VMs and we don't want that - we would like the distribution of images to stay the same. I have also looked at the Maintenance state, but there currently isn't a way to set those for the future and again, the system wants to re-image the nodes when it later becomes 'available'.

I am considering creating a new state and altering vcld to understand it, but I thought I should check with you guys first - you must run into the same situation occasionally. How do you handle it?

Thanks for all your hard work!

--
Liz Wendland
Duke University Office of Information Technology