I actually went through this same scenario about a week ago here at ECU during
a planned power outage for our datacenter.  The process you need to follow is:

Go to Manage Schedules
Under Schedules, create a name for your "offline" time and click Add.

Once you are at the Edit Schedule page you will need to setup the times when
VCL will be AVAILABLE.  Take note of the statement about the start/end times
being Sunday 12:00 am.

So, for example, if you needed to have your downtime this weekend from Saturday
at 8:00 pm - Sunday at 12:00 pm then you would want to create the following
schedule:

Start Time:  Sunday 12:00 pm                        End Time:  Saturday 8:00 pm

This means that VCL will be available from Sunday 12:00 pm till Saturday
evening at 8:00 pm (which in our example is when the downtime would begin).
The schedule would then repeat itself again which means it would be available
beginning at 12:00 pm on Sunday (which is when downtime would end).

The next step is to go to Manage Computers and then Computer Utilities.  You
will want to choose "Check All" (or just check whichever vm's/blades you want
to make unavailable) and at the bottom you will want to change the schedule to
the new schedule you just created.

You can test to make sure your schedule worked correctly by creating a
reservation during the time when VCL should not be available.  Please note that
when you choose the future time for the reservation (when testing your
schedule) that you have to click submit on the reservation page before it shows
you that the computers are not available during that time (it will actually
show the end user a big grid of when VCL is available and when it is not so
they should be able to see when the "downtime" is scheduled to be over).

One thing to remember is to change your schedule back to the normal schedule
(which for ECU is 24x7) or else it will repeat itself each week.

Thanks to Andy at NCSU for taking the time to explain this process to me!

Please let us know if you have any other questions or problems with this
process.

David Creech
East Carolina University