Bingo. I was hoping that only file/datastore operations were locked down. I attempted to have a shared datastore mounted between the ESXi host and the management node so that the management node could manipulate the files. This worked great. I then tried to use VIX to register and power on the VM. I was greeted with the same "RestrictedVersionFault" that the vSphere SDK returns.

I committed some prerequisite changes this morning. I hope to commit the VMware code tomorrow.

-Andy

Ryan Johnson wrote:
So the next version of the Vmware code will use VIX as well?  And I am
guessing Vmware locked down write operations for VIX?