Sent: Wednesday, April 20, 2011 04:29 PM
To: vcl-dev@incubator.apache.org
Subject: Re: The CCMP module for IBM Cloud

Hi Milen, Xianqing,

Thanks for the update.

Overall the code looks really good.

Some suggestions, which would help clean up the code a little bit.

I see your making sql calls directly in the ccmp module.
Something to help simplify is to use these routines.

database_select()
database_execute()

These database_* routines will check for and create a db handle if
needed. Also if we every need to move away from mysql to another

Some other ones related to sql statements:
for the blockComputers check you can use
is_inblockrequest($computer_id)
to see if a user deleted a request you can use this routine
is_request_deleted($request_id)

In your does_image_exist routine. You can do away with the Check in the
local database and only confirm the image is available in the IBM cloud.
If the image wasn't in the local VCL database, then the user request
would not be able to get that far anyway.

Also you might be able to make use of the variable table.
An example starts on line 250 in the xCAT2.pm provisioning module
if($self->data->is_variable_set($variable_name)){
  notify($ERRORS{'DEBUG'}, 0, "throttle is  set for $variable_name");
  #fetch variable
  $xcat_throttle = $self->data->get_variable($variable_name);
 }

The variable table can used to handle variables that do not have a home
or that need to be flexible.

I see your powering off the nodes in certain cases, after each reclaim
and at the end of block allocations. Can you explain more about that?

In the OS modules, what are main changes there? What version were you
working against? I see a lot of little changes, but many may be related
to the differences in the version your were working on. Ideally we would
want to extend the OS modules to handle what would be needed to work
with all the provisioning modules.

Thanks again for your work,
Aaron