Arbin,

This could be done.  Here is one way I can suggest that can be done without
any modification to the current code base.  You would need to write a small
app that would interact with the VCL XML RPC API.  The app would need to
prompt users for their VCL credentials, which it would need to cache in RAM.
Then, it would get a list of the environments the user had access to.  The
user could then select which environment was desired.  The app would then make
the reservation, wait for it to be ready, and then connect to it.  This would
be best done under linux where rdesktop could be used which allows for passing
the RDP password via the command line.  The biggest problem I see with this
method is the API doesn't currently provide a way to get an estimated load
time for a given image.  So, the user wouldn't have any way to know if the
selected image was preloaded or if it was going to take 20 minutes to load.
Adding this capability wouldn't take much work, but it just isn't currently
there.

I wrote an app that does some of this a few years ago.  It is in python/tk and
is more of the "icon on the desktop" concept.  I can try to dig it up if
you're really ready to pursue this.

Josh

my GPG/PGP key can be found at pgp.mit.edu