This sounds a lot like William Lam's ghetto linked clones method (http://communities.vmware.com/docs/DOC-9202). I've found it to be pretty useful, but had some frightening corner cases around deleting VMs and accidentally having parent VMs have their vmdk's deleted.

If you want to go down the linked clone route (which I really hope you are, I'd love to be able to get rid of our custom code and move to community code that has the same functionality), then I'd highly recommend using the techniques in http://www.vmware.com/support/developer/vc-sdk/linked_vms_note.pdf This is VMware's published method of creating linked clones when you use the APIs. We're using this in production and it works great and is very quick. The only trick is you have to create a snapshot of your base image before making a linked clone of it, but that's easily done.