All:
According to the documentation, I need to "Once you have done this, you should express interest on the vcl-dev list that you are interested in becoming a committer." Yes, I would like to become a committer. In particular, I'd like to commit automation scripts to the project.

It seems the next step is a vote.
"

  1. Be voted in as a new committer on the vcl-private list
     There is a private VCL list for members of the Podling Project
     Management Committee (PPMC) to discuss whether or not someone
     should be given the rights of a committer. A formal vote must
     happen on this list for you to be accepted as a committer."

Do you wish my assistance for the VCL project?

Thanks,
Larry Burton