-1

Sorry to a stick in the mud, guys, since I'd certainly like to see 2.3 released
soon, but I encountered a few issues that I think should be fixed before
cutting the release.

I installed the release candidate using a fresh database, testing against a
vCenter provisioning engine and Shibboleth authentication. I was using a 64-bit
Windows 7 image.

The first issue I encountered was that each time the management node calls
'get_file_contents', the contents of the target file are printed to the log.
This is generally not an issue, but when a slice of the registry is retrieved,
that amounted to ~30,000 lines in my logfile. And that happens each time an
image is reloaded. (Somehow I hadn't noticed this with the code from about two
weeks ago). I can certainly see the usefulness of this during development, but
I don't like the fact that this is the default behavior for a release. For now,
I would suggest modifying line 1789 of OS.pm:

-    my ($exit_status, $output) = $self->execute($command);
+    my ($exit_status, $output) = $self->execute($command, 0); # do not print
the cmd output to the log

Later, it could be nice to make this somewhat more configurable.

Second, if the system is using Shibboleth it is not possible to handle users
who have not previously logged in (i.e. adding someone to a group). There are
two bugs preventing this from working properly. First, if someone enables
ALLOWADDSHIBUSERS in conf.php but doesn't define a value in $addUserFuncArgs (I
would anticipate this to be what most people using Shib would do, since there
is no documentation about what that array is for), the initGlobals() function
does not properly populate the addUserFuncArgs array. This can be fixed by
adding $addUserFuncArgs to the list of 'global' values on line 68 in utils.php
-- the current code is just modifying a local value, not the global one:

-    global $affilValFunc, $addUserFunc, $updateUserFunc;
+    global $affilValFunc, $addUserFunc, $updateUserFunc, $addUserFuncArgs;

Once that change is made, though, there is also a SQL query expecting a
'validated' field in the users table. This field, however, does not exist. It
is in neither update-vcl.sql nor in vcl.sql:

vcl.sql, line 1079:

+  `validated` tinyint(1) unsigned NOT NULL default '1',

and update-vcl.sql, lines 827-

+ -- --------------------------------------------------------
+
+ --
+ -- Table structure for table `user`
+ --
+
+ CALL AddColumnIfNotExists('user', 'validated', "tinyint(1) unsigned NOT NULL
default '1'");
+

Once these two changes are made, however, I am able to add shib users exactly
as the documentation suggests.

Otherwise, everything else looks good.

Aaron

--