Hi All,

While it's true that you need to create/configure the vmware host
systems (and the vmware guests) in VCL before you can do anything
with them.

In one manner VCL does "auto create vm on esxi and delete vm
on esxi".

During the image loading/unloading phases, VCL does create/delete
the .vmx files(using preconfigured images) and then communicate with
the vmware host to start/stop the vmware guest.

So in this way VCL it does create/delete the esxi vm.

Hope this helps clarify things.

__Jim

On 1/12/2011 11:03 AM, Josh Thompson wrote:
> On Thursday January 06, 2011, fengxiujie_sjtu wrote:
>> Hi ,list
>
>>      It's my great honour to contact with all of you guys.Recently, I have
>> shown great interest on VCL and have spent a lot of time on installing VCL
>> for academic research.However ,though the documentation of VCL were well
>> organized and the ideas were clearly delivered,I am still have some
>> trouble making VCL to work correctly. I wonder if you can help me with
>> the following questions.
>
>> 1, I have followed the  "VCL Install Guide "as link
>> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/VCL/Documentation described
>> step by step while installing VCL ,however , I could not manage the vm
>> hosts and vms through the web interface when I finished " Database
>> Configuration","Web Code Installation ","Management Node Installation ".I
>> want to know how VCL management node interact with ESX hosts .I find the
>> function vcl can auto create vm on esxi and delete vm on esxi ,but I DID
>> NOT find any detail  Documentation about it .
>
> Do you remember where you found information saying that VCL can auto create
> VMs?  It does not currently do that.  If there is documentation somewhere
> stating that, it needs to be corrected.
>
> To use VMs with VCL, you need to first add VM host computers using Manage
> Computers->Edit Computer Information->Add.  Then, you need to add VMs using
> the same mechanism.  Finally, you need to go to Virtual Hosts and add the VMs
> to the VM hosts.  Currently, VCL does not manage placement of VMs on VM hosts
> automatically.  That is something we will add in a future release.
>
>> 2, I wonder if you can give a document about how to use VCL via Web
>> interface or other methods , as most of the VCL documents are about  how
>> to install it.
>
> We definitely need to work on documentation in lots of areas.  There is some
> documentation on using VCL.  The best place to look is to just browse the
> list
> of pages in the wiki:
>
> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/VCL/Browse+Pages
>
> Josh
>

>>  Looking forward to hearing from you soon!
>
>> yours,
>
>> Xiujie Feng
>

>> 2011-01-05
>

>> fengxiujie_sjtu