I suspect there are many users (may I say leechers?) like me who come often to the VCL website to get code and directions, but do not take the time to note the utility of VCL. To me, VCL meets my expectations of an Apache project. First, it works. Second, it is useful. Third, there is sufficient documentation to allow me to get the software up and running. I've been coming to the site for more than a year, and I've noted steady improvement -- especially the inclusion of XCAT. I recently posted some scripts to automate the installation of VCL. My comments and scripts are in the confluence CMS. In my case, I was reluctant to post out of a feeling of "not wanting to interfere" with the project. I wonder how many others have suggestions and tips to improve VCL and feel the same way? I would support graduation if for no other reason than "project" status makes contribution more inviting. VCL is technically mature, so it is time to start adding related materials such as more utility scripts, use cases, and an unending supply of documentation. It is okay to have multiple contributions on how to install, geared toward different levels of user competence in related topics. VCL has as a foundation many other open source packages. Reuse is good, but not everyone is prepared to "install MySQL" or "open vi and ..." The latter strikes terror to a large group of users that want to just get on with using the package. This was my motivation for automating the installation. I do not disagree with the areas for improvement others have noted in this discussion, but I do not see any of those as a reason not graduate the project.

--
Dr. Larry Burton
Associate Professor

NOTICE: This e-mail correspondence is subject to Public Records Law and may be
disclosed to third parties.