Hi

We plan to update VCL ESXi hosts and it will require VMware Tools update for
all VMs.

I'm looking at different options on how to update vmware-tools on many base
images.

One option is to use web GUI to create new image revision with updated tools
for each image.

Other option would be to create temp. VMs using persistent disk images pointing
to base images .vmdk files, then update vmware-tools and delete temp. VMs
(in-place upgrade?).
This will probably require full shutdown of VCL system to make sure no one is
using any of the images during the upgrade.

May be someone already done it and could share some recommendations ...

--
Thank you,

Dmitri Chebotarov
Virtual Computing Lab Systems Engineer, TSD - Ent Servers & Messaging
223 Aquia Building, Ffx, MSN: 1B5
Phone: (703) 993-6175
Fax: (703) 993-3404