Michael,

For users with "Send email notifications about reservations" set to
Enabled under User Preferences->General Preferences, the warning
emails should be sent out if the user has an email address set.  Email
addresses are generally populated via ldap.  If you are not populating
email addresses via ldap, the notifications will not go out.

There should also be a popup warning at 10 and 5 minutes within the
session on the reserved node.  If you are not getting a popup warning,
there is a problem that needs to be looked in to.

Josh