Quoth Riny Qian on Wed, Jun 20, 2007 at 11:16:44AM +0800:
> David Bustos wrote:
> >Quoth Riny Qian on Mon, Jun 18, 2007 at 12:41:00PM +0800:
> >>1. svc:/system/console-login
> >>
> >>    This SMF service serves for all console logins, including virtual
> >>    console logins.  The default instance is used for the system
> >>    console, and other instances (vt2 to vt6) are used for virtual
> >>    consoles.
> >
> >If you're going to use "vt", then you should refer to them as virtual
> >terminals, not virtual consoles.
>
> Here we name the instance name to vt# because we keep consistency with
> /dev/vt/# name space, VT_xxx ioctl interfaces, vt(7I), vtdaemon and so
> on.
>
> For documentation, actually virtual terminal is equivalent to virtual
> console in this project, and it's also mentioned in the manpages. We
> prefer virtual console in the documentation because it sounds like more
> precise and accurate.

Accurate how?  When programs write to the console, does the output show
up on all virtual consoles?  If not, I don't think they deserve the name
"console" if we're giving them the name "terminal" elsewhere.  Please
just use "virtual terminal".

> >>    o The default instance is delivered enabled since it's needed
> >>      in seed repository. Other instances for virtual consoles are
> >>      delivered disabled, and are enabled in generic_limited_net.xml
> >>      profile and generic_open.xml, and are disabled when they're
> >>      in non-global zones or when the virtual console functionality
> >>      is not available.
> >
> >How many instances will you deliver?  How will you disable them in
> >nonglobal zones?
>
> Six instances will be delivered by default, one (default) is for the
> system console, and the other five (vt2 to vt6) are for virtual
> consoles.

Did you consider delivering an instance for each virtual terminal?

> The other five virtual console instances will be disabled via
> svcadm in the service start method (console-login) when it detects
> it's in nonglobal zone via smf_is_nonglobalzone.

Ok.

> >>2. svc:/system/vtdaemon:default
> >>
> >>    This SMF service serves for secure switch between all virtual
> >>    consoles including the system console .
> >>
> >>    The SMF manifest delivers as:
> >>        /var/svc/manifest/system/vtdaemon.xml
> >>    And the method delivers as:
> >>        /lib/svc/method/vtdaemon
> >
> >Is vtdaemon a script?  If not, then you should deliver it elsewhere.
>
> Yes, it's a script, just like above console-login.

Ok.

David