Riny Qian wrote:
> All,
>
> Please take a look at the updated virtual console spec:
>
> http://www.opensolaris.org/os/project/vconsole/vconsole-spec.txt
> http://www.opensolaris.org/os/project/vconsole/vt.7i.txt
>
> Any comments are welcome.

DJM-1 2.6 /dev/console & root login

I'm not sure you can allow root login on /dev/console
and on /dev/vt#.  The /etc/default/login variable CONSOLE
only specifies a single device and I'm not sure I'm comfortable
with /dev/console meaning /dev/console and all of /dev/vt.

However I do see possible value in allowing local root
logins on multiple vts, so I'll need to think more about
this.

DJM-2 2.7.2 ACLs for usb etc devices

Are you saying that if user "bob" logins in on vt1 and
user "alice" logins on vt2 then there will be an ACL of
both of them on the audio and usb devices ?

I don't think this is a good idea.  I'm also concerned
about how this interacts with device allocation and
Trusted Extensions.

Please ask the security community to review this whole
proposal for possible interactions with Trusted Extensions.

DJM-3 2.8 SMF Service

As per my previous emails I believe that the /dev/vt#
devices should just be instances of console-login and you
should not need a separate vconsole-login even due to
Zones.

DJM-4 2.9 tipline

How does this interact with consadm(1M) ?

DJM-5 2.10 kmdb

I expected that kmdb and panic would not be displayed
on the current vt but only on the console and that you
would still be able to switch to the console to interact
with kmdb.   However I think this mode might be acceptable
and even desirable in some cases.

DJM-6 2.12 Xorg

What about Xsun since that is still used on SPARC.

DJM-7 General

Is the ioctl interface compatible with that on any other
platform or is it unique to OpenSolaris systems ?

--
Darren J Moffat