Am Mittwoch, 23. März 2011, um 09:33:37 schrieb Dieter Plaetinck:
> On Wed, 23 Mar 2011 08:00:27 +0100
> martin f krafft <madd...@madduck.net> wrote:
>
> > also sprach Dieter Plaetinck <die...@plaetinck.be> [2011.03.20.1235
> > +0100]:
> > > oh, one more thing.
> > > you can query the current branch in a pure-python way, by
> > > reading .git/HEAD
> >
> > No, please do not use this. Use
> >
> >   git symbolic-ref -q HEAD || git name-rev --name-only HEAD
> >

> well, the idea behind doing it in pure-python is removing the overhead
> of spawning extra processes, do you have an argument why reading the
> branchname of the current HEAD in a few lines of python is bad?

I agree with Martin that parsing git internals does not seem the right way to
do it - they might change at some point. Additionally, I'd like to keep
dvcs-autosync as agnostic to the used DVCS as possible (otherwise it will
quickly become a git-autosync). At the moment, the DVCS can be swapped out by
changing only the config file options. If I can keep that without sacrificing
too much performance, I'd like to do so.

best regards,
Rene