On 15-02-09, Tom Roche wrote:

For the gory details, see

https://github.com/RichiH/vcsh/issues/147

but my request boils down to this:

I'm using `vcsh` to VC files in $HOME (et al), but

1. I want to leverage the goodness of `vcsh`/`mr` and have repos for bash, emacs, ssh, etc

2. I also want to have remote repos (for now, privates on Bitbucket)

3. I also want my remotes to have READMEs.

4. I'm trying to standardize my READMEs on reST (which is advantageous for some scientific projects on which I'm *really* working)

So I'd like to know, how to create a README.rst in a "fake" but committable vcsh repo, rather than in $HOME ? Note I'd bail to Bitbucket's web UI to create my READMEs, but their web editor will only take Markdown, so I'd very much prefer to create a ./README.rst for my project ... just not in $HOME.

The easiest thing to do is to set up a vcsh hook that configures the repositories to ignore certain files when they're checked out:

https://github.com/marklee77/homedir-bootstrap/blob/master/bootstrap.sh

To set up a new home directory I run:

    curl -s
https://raw.githubusercontent.com/marklee77/homedir-bootstrap/master/bootstrap.sh
 | sh

Note that the version of vcsh that is packaged with some versions of ubuntu has a bug in it, so that it will look for hooks in $XDH_CONFIG_HOME/vcsh/hooks-enabled rather than $XDG_CONFIG_HOME/vcsh/hooks-enabled. The easiest fix is just to set XDH_CONFIG_HOME=${XDG_CONFIG_HOME}.

Cheers,
--