Matthias Schwarzott wrote:
In gentoo vdr package we added a small hack (attached), which implements a svdrp call "down" to tell vdr it is inactive and will shutdown in X minutes.

We call this from shutdown-scripts to let vdr retry shutdown in 5 min (or other value if needed).

Question is: Is this still needed?

VDR already retries after an acceptable time, and VDR probably knows better whether an user is currently active or not. The only reason I could think of is that VDR was started without a timer nearby, and the start script knows that this is not an user start. And sending a kPower key press will also let VDR go inactive.

Things were different in old versions, where VDR retried shutdown after 3 hours or so, but that has changed.

Cheers,

Udo