Andrew Herron wrote:
> I will look at evms & lvm. Thanks.
>
> But I'd still like to understand how vdr's own managment of multiple
> video.xx directories works...
>
> Can anyone explain what my options are for using multiple video.xx
> directories?

The details about handling multiple video directories are explained in
VDR's INSTALL file.

Basically, if you specify -v /var/lib/video.00 on command line, VDR will
automatically search for .01 and so on, and will use them all for recording.

Disk usage will be split across all disks, even recordings will be
split. VDR maintains a complete folder hierarchy in the .00 folder,
using symbolic links to mirror files on other disks to the .00 folder.

Cheers,

Udo