Udo Richter wrote:
> Theunis Potgieter wrote:
>> udev rules
>
> Any good rules that could be used as a starting point?

Since there's no working solution yet that really satisfied me, I've
digged into this, trying to get automatic persistent numbering of
/dev/dvb/adapterX to work.

My first attempt however failed due to race problems since several dvb
sub-devices appear almost at the same time, and the persistent rules
cannot be updated without difficult synchronization. But at least I want
to post some rules that can be set up manually:

Check the output of udevinfo -a -n /dev/dvb/adapter0/frontend0. Under
'parent device' you'll find something like this:
     KERNELS=="0000:00:13.0"
     SUBSYSTEMS=="pci"
USB devices will look like this:
     KERNELS=="4-1"
     SUBSYSTEMS=="usb"

With this, you can set up a rule like this:
ACTION=="add", SUBSYSTEM=="dvb", SUBSYSTEMS=="pci",
KERNELS=="0000:00:13.0", \
     PROGRAM="/bin/sh -c 'K=%k; echo dvb/adapter0/$${K#dvb*.}'", \
     NAME="%c"

Create a file /etc/udev/rules.d/025_persistent-dvb.rules and put the
rule into it. Do this for _ALL_ your DVB devices, and give each device a
different number in the rule (eg. replace echo dvb/adapter0 in the rule
with other numbers).

This works, as long as no unknown devices appear that could end up using
some adapter number twice.

Cheers,

Udo