On 03/07/08 13:17, Joerg Pulz wrote:

> On Thu, 6 Mar 2008, Klaus Schmidinger wrote:
>
>> On 03/06/08 20:37, Ville Skyttä wrote:
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> The attached patch makes VDR's Makefile use pkgconfig for finding
>>> libs and
>>> include dirs of freetype and fontconfig instead of making assumptions.
>
>> How about putting that stuff at the same place everywhere?
>> Why must it have to be somewhere else on every system?
>
> Klaus,
>
> how about accepting the case, that the world has more than one Linux
> distribution and in addition, there is not only Linux where VDR can run on.
> How about beeing a little bit less ignorant when it comes to VDR and
> portability.
> What do you think why we have tools like pkg-config or autotools and so
> many projects make use of it? Because its funny? I don't think so!
>
> What's the big deal with Villa's proposal to change two lines in the
> Makefile when it breaks nothing for you and makes life easier for other
> users?

See my reply to Luca.

Instead of having all applications work around freetyp2's weird include
macro stuff, why not complain to the freetype2 people and have them
provide just a plain old <freetype2.h> that can be included like any other
header file?

Sorry for being ignorant, but I have this tendency to try to solve problems
at their root.

Klaus