And I was just about to get exited, until I read this:

XvMC issues
● Limited hardware driver support
– Intel i810, i915/945 MC, 965 MC working in progress
– Unichrome VLD
– ATI, Nvidia (?)
● Limited modern video codec support, just for
MPEG1/2, can't support H.264/AVC.
– Multiple intra/inter prediction modes (multiple
motion vector styles)
– Multiple reference pictures
– No in-loop filter

So it appears there is no hope for my old machine with an AGP port, and
nvidia G-Force 4 MMX 440. Looks like I will have to upgrade, but the craze
will have to settle first before I buy anything. I wonder why they don't
create add-on cards in PCI format? so that it will work on older machines? I
guess they want you to upgrade to keep on making money...

Isn't there a method to use OpenGL to assist HD decoding?