On 10/07/08 02:18, Malcolm Caldwell wrote:
> On Mon, 2008-10-06 at 11:11 +0200, Klaus Schmidinger wrote:

>>> That's what I mean by "doing it by hand"! My channels.conf is littered
>>> with those!
>>>
>>> ;)
>>>
>>> Would be nice if each channel entry had a field for channel number
>>> instead, especially when they helpfully decide to move a channel!
>>>
>>> It's also the way "real" set-top boxes do it. I think "scan" can output
>>> the channel numbers to a vdr-readable channels.conf but I think that just
>>> puts in a :@1, :@2, :@3, etc. every other line. Just doesn't seem neat to
>>> me, especially as the channel numbers are broadcast.
>>>
>>> I did start looking at this a while back but never got very far: might
>>> have another go...
>> I don't think it makes any sense to put actual channel numbers into
>> each channel's line in channels.conf. For one, what if different
>> providers want to use the same channel numbers? And: what if channels
>> are moved around, inserted or deleted?
>
> It might not make sense in your environment.

It certainly doesn't - with several providers and mixed DVB-S and DVB-T
channels the idea of each provider wanting to dictate channel numbers is
just not feasible.

> In the UK and here in Australia there are fixed, advertised channel
> numbers.

Well, if you have only a single provider and/or transmission method, I
can see that you might identify a channel by its number.

> It makes sense if something is advertised as being on channel 20, then
> pressing '2' and then '0' should tune to that channel.  "Makes sense"
> means that "I can describe it to my wife".
>
>> The channel numbers are implicitly derived from the position of each
>> channel in the channels.conf file. Offsets can be suggested with :@nnn
>> lines, but are only hints and may be ignored if there are too many
>> channels before them to actually implement the desired numbers.
>
> Maybe I should try to explain this to my wife instead?

You can number your channels in whatever way you want, with the existing
means implemented in VDR - it just doesn't happen automatically. So there's
no need to explain anythign to your wife, if you just sort your channels
the right way ;-)

Are these channel numbers broadcast in a way that's covered in the
DVB SI standard? If so, I see no reason why VDR shouldn't (optionally)
use them when sorting channels. But they sure have no place in channels.conf,
in there I would still use :@nnn lines to set the offsets.

Klaus