Wow... you write alot! :)

On Fri, Feb 20, 2009 at 11:54 PM, Ville Aakko <ville.aa...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi!
>
> 2009/2/20 Alex Betis <alex.be...@gmail.com>:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I wonder what am I doing wrong.
> >
> > The problem is that when this script is run in background (& at the end),
> > the job is shown as "stopped".
> > I've tried to run vdr-sxfe itself in background, it opens the window and
> the
> > job stops.
> > I know there is a switch that will run it in daemon mode, but that's not
> > that good for the script I want to have.
>
> I think I hit the problem you are having before, but in my current
> solution I do not need to face it. Currently, I log in automatically
> via kdm, which loads KDE (could be xfce or whatever you want, though I
> haven't tested because currently I want to use KDE) and automatically
> runs a script (~/.kde/Autostart/vdr-sxfe.sh) that starts vdr-sxfe. I

I use gnome with auto login and it runs my vdr-sxfe.sh script as well.

> don't background the vdr-sxfe.sh process in the script. I have two

Me too. In that case everything works fine, even if I kill the vdr-sxfe
process and the script restarts it.

> loops there; the second is in case vdr-sxfe crashes, to restart
> vdr-sxfe (vdr-sxfe doesn't do that anymore quite often) and the second

In my case vdr-sxfe doesn't crash, but it freezes on startup a lot.
Restarting it generally helps.

> is for suspend / resume (some parts of lirc/VFD don't like suspend on
> my setup). The latter waits from the start of suspend until end of
> resume to restart vdr-sxfe. And, also it looks for the errorlevel of

How did you implement the wait? With a flag-file that is set in suspend
script and deleted after resume?

> vdr-sxfe ehwn it exits; if it is not a "clean" one, it assumes it was
> not initiated by the user (and allows automatic shutdowns).

Good idea. I planned to kill both vdr-sxfe and vdr-sxfe.sh to use the
desktop. I could also swtich to another desktop and leave the frontend
running as is. Now we came to the real problem: when I kill the script, how
do I restart it so it will run in foreground.

> Do you really need to background vdr-sxfe the way you try to do it? On
> my setup, If I want to exit vdr-sxfe to use the desktop (actually, I
> don't need to do that but I can, also this disable automatic shutdowns
> on my setup via a kludge) I just press esc on my keyboard to shutdown
> vdr-sxfe (this leaves vdr running in the background). I have bound
> another button to restart vdr-sxfe again (to enable automatic
> shutdowns etc.).  You could kill all running vdr-sxfe sessions
> whenever you run the script again (so that would actually work as a
> restart, too, Though, I don't need restarting vdr-sxfe, so I haven't
> done it). I can send my script if you need it.

Do you restart vdr-sxfe or the script? I need the script to be restarted and
run in foreground.
I didn't try using irexec yet, will try it later today. I hope it doesn't
run the commands in background since it will not work for vdr-sxfe.

Please send the script, I might learn something from it.
Thanks.

> The rest might be offtopic or not, but I think in general your problem
> is related to a lack of documentation / examples / init scripts etc.

Agree.