On Wed, Feb 25, 2009 at 02:51:05PM +0000, Tony Houghton wrote:
> I'm not sure whether C Scheeder is right, but it seems highly likely.

Christoph is right. The buyable cables operate the wrong direction for
our purposes.

> Different cards need diffeernt types of cable. For example ATI and
> Matrox cards can both output the necessary composite sync, but they need
> slightly diffeernt wiring. Most other cards can't output composite sync
> so you need a circuit to combine them.

with my cable described here:

http://www.vdr-portal.de/board/thread.php?postid=742945#post742945

you have a multi purpose solution because it does not take into account
special features of some special graphics cards.

I never understood why people rely on things like on-chip composite
sync. You easily can do that externally by two Rs and one T.

I successfully use the VGA2SCART cable above for nVidia, ATI Radeon
and Intel graphics. Of course driver initializes separate sync for
all three.

> If you do go ahead and build a cable I'd recommend cutting one end off
> an existing VGA cable and using a multimeter to work out which wire is

that's how I do that. But take care to grab a cable with VGA Pin 9
wired. There are many cables out there with this pin not being connected.

Cheers
  Thomas