On Sun, Jan 10, 2010 at 4:37 AM, Manuel Reimer <manuel.rei...@gmx.de> wrote:
> Another question: Wouldn't it be possible to make the current VDR work with
> "old" firmwares? Maybe with a switch to the kernel driver, which toggles
> between "real" TS mode and PES/TS transcoding on the CPU?
>
> The FF card works well, if PES is used. It seems to be the switch to TS which
> makes FF cards fail. So if the card only works well with PES in unmodded
> form, then the users should have a chance to keep with PES on this card.
> Maybe it would even be better to use some kind of transcoding by default and
> only switch to "real" TS if the full-TS mod is detected.
>
> IMHO it is not good to force users to mod their cards, if they want to switch
> to the future VDR 1.8 (or 2.0 or whatever version number Klaus plans for the
> future release). Most users will fail to mod the card, as the Full TS mod is
> by far the most complicated mod for the FF card. I'm pretty good at
> soldering, but I don't think I would manage to successfully do a full-TS mod.

The problem is with the design (lack of adequate bandwidth) of your
card, not VDR.  I don't think it makes much sense to force/limit VDR
in any way just to accommodate design flaws with that FF card (which I
own as well btw).  I agree that users experiencing this problem should
consider the hw mod or adding another adapter.

Also, the switch to ts was prompted by a few factors, one of which
being many users requesting it.  VDR is finally getting away from the
limitations of being based around FF cards, let's not take any steps
backwards!