There's one big recording, where I want to cut several recordings from
using different sets of cut marks and store them under different names
outside of the video directory.

I finally manage to extract the cutting code from VDR into a separate
tool. Needs some finishing, but as soon as I'm happy with it, I'll make
it available at projects.vdr-developer.org, just in case someone's
interested in it.

Why don't you  just use a wrapper script to get this running, like

#!/bin/bash

SOURCE_DIR=${1%/}
shift
REC_DATE=${SRC_DIR##*/}
SRC_DIR=${SRC_DIR%/*}
BASE_DIR=${SRC_DIR%/*}
DIR_NAME=${SRC_DIR##*/}
CUTTING_DIR=${BASE_DIR}/%${DIR_NAME}
[  -d "$CUTTING_DIR" ] && mv $CUTTING_DIR $CUTTING_DIR.org
[  -e "${SOURCE_DIR}/marks" ] && mv "${SOURCE_DIR}/marks"
"${SOURCE_DIR}/marks.org"

while [ "$1" != "" ] ; do
   marks=$1
   target_dir=$2
   shift 2
   cp -f $marks "${SOURCE_DIR}/marks"
   [ -e "$CUTTING_DIR" ] && rm $CUTTING_DIR
   ln -s $target_dir $CUTTING_DIR
   mkdir $CUTTING_DIR
   vdr --edit=${SOURCE_DIR}
done