On Fri, Nov 01, 2013 at 11:19:48PM +0200, Marko Mäkelä wrote:
If I change the assignment to isTrueColor=false, the square goes away and I will get the familiar gray rectangles on the screen (from the "else" block that I omitted above).

I did some further studying. The truecolor OSD was implemented early 2011. As far as I understand, the softdevice plugin is converting palette-based bitmaps into an ARGB layer. There is a comment at the end of the definition of class cOsd in osd.h that shows how the conversion should be done.

It looks like I should simply follow this example, possibly implementing some kind of threshold mapping on the Alpha channel in case the Matrox does not implement 8-bit translucency but just a 1-bit transparency flag. So, I will try to remove the palette mapping from SoftOsd.c and replace the GetBitmap() call with the RenderPixmaps() loop.

Best regards,

        Marko