----- Original Message -----

What I've been saying all along. But Ayal will just say he didn't see a good
reason brought up :)

> However, I find adding FlowID to each and every log line a bit
> excessive. Our log is too cluttered as it is. Logging FlowID whenever
> a new thread is spawned makes more sense to me.

In that case, this needs to be done in a way that is easily grep-able and
clearly visible when skimming over a logfile, in a bird's eye view, sort of
speak. So far, looking for the "run and protect" line for a specific thread,
making sure it pertains to the same thing the engine kicked off in it's own
log, and then following that thread through was never very easy. Manageable
with some experience, but not easy.

> > What was mostly missing in the engine logs was understanding what
> > thread in engine called what operation in vdsm and what vdsm's
> > response was.  In 3.0 my understanding is that engine fixed this
> > so this entire feature will be counter productive (will make logs
> > less readable and harder to decipher, adds complexity to the API
> > and adds complexity to users of the rest API).
> > All cross hosts issues stem from *different* flows, so this would
> > not help in this case and single host issues are easily traceable
> > today (and you *never* need to follow an entire flow, it's
> > entirely redundant and inefficient).
> >
> > I'm more than willing to show this on any set of logs by the way
> > and would be happy to be proven wrong.
> >
> > More often than not by the way, the issue is that inside a specific
> > call (i.e. 1 verb, not a flow) people are not proficient in
> > finding the offending line (which is why I wrote the 'how to read
> > the vdsm log' wiki).

Regards,

Dan Yasny
Red Hat Israel