On Tue, Apr 03, 2012 at 09:07:15PM -0500, Ryan Harper wrote:
> I'm just starting to work with gerrit and I've got a number of process
> questions on how to map typical opensource project development with
> gerrit.
First a general recommendation for working with gerrit: keyboard
shortcuts are critical in most screens. Use '?' to see the shortcuts.

> In general, I'll work up a patch series, post to the mailing (including
> a cover letter to describe the goal of the series and any details
> around what testing was done), do review and discussion inline on the
> list via email client.  It's straight-forward to see all of the comments
> about the whole series in an email thread.  I'll respond to either
> discuss issues or indicate I'll respin and include the fix.
>
> Next, I go back and rework the code as needed, and post a v2 of the
> series to the list.  Repeat till code is accepted to completely rejected
> in favor of another approach.
>
> I'm trying to understand the gerrit analog of this.  I've created my
> patch series, used git-review to submit a topic branch.  The web
> dashboard shows each patch as it's own item for review.  I get email
> copies of my submissions with links to the gerrit link to the commit.
> When folks review my patches I get emails with comments from them.  In
> some cases, when I look at the web ui, I can see that someone has
> reviewed the patch, but the comments don't show up (even though they did
> in the email; for example, http://gerrit.ovirt.org/#change,3287 shows
> that Dan reviewed the patch and it has (1 inline comment).  However, the
> email I got in response to the review actually includes the comment.)
The entire commit/patch is there under Patch Set X. There you can see
the code and inline comments. I'm not sure the cover letter for the
topic branch is visible so I suppose you should work around it by
choosing a good topic name.

> To respond to the comments of a single patch, I'm currently "reviewing"
> my own patch, filling out the "cover" letter, but it's not clear to me
> that everyone sees the cover letter before reading the patches etc.
Yes, you are "reviewing" your own patch. If you see it as "participate
in the review" it makes more sense.

> Also, it's not clear to me if everyone can see the comments or only
> folks who have been selected as reviewers.  Is "reviewing" each one of
> my own patches to reply to comments the preferred/best method within the
> bounds of gerrit to exchange comments?  Is it possible to reply to the
> email that gets sent out with the comments directly and have gerrit
> append those comments to the backend?
I think you can set gerrit up to be closed, but gerrit ovirt is set up
to be visible for everyone.

> I'm now looking at the feedback and will be doing a v2; do I submit a
> new topic branch or with git-review do the right thing if I resubmit
> under the same topic branch ?
The hook assigns a Change-Id to each commit and tracks changes by it. If
you push a different commit with the same ID gerrit will see it as a new
Patch Set for that change.