----- Original Message -----
> From: "Adam Litke" <a...@us.ibm.com>

There major problems with XML-RPC (and to some extent with REST as well) are
high call overhead and no two way communication (push events). Basing on
XML-RPC means that we will never be able to solve these issues.

> > The current XML-RPC API contains a lot of decencies and
> > inefficiencies and we
> > would like to retire it as soon as we possibly can. Engine would
> > like us to
> > move to a message based API and 3rd parties want something simple
> > like REST so
> > it looks like no one actually wants to use XML-RPC. Not even us.
>
> I am proposing that AMQP brokers and REST APIs could be written
> against the
> public API.  In fact, they need not even live in the vdsm tree
> anymore if that
> is what we choose.  Core vdsm would only be responsible for providing
> libvdsm
> and whatever language bindings we want to support.
If we take the libvdsm route, the only reason to even have a REST bridge is
only to support OSes other then Linux which is something I'm not sure we care
about at the moment.

> > I do think that having C supportability in our API is a good idea,
> > but the
> > current API should not be used as the base.
>
> Let's _start_ with a schema document that describes today's API and
> then clean
> it up.  I think that will work better than starting from scratch.
>  Once my
> schema is written I will post it and we can 'patch' it as a community
> until we
> arrive at a 1.0 version we are all happy with.
+1