----- Original Message -----
> From: "Alon Bar-Lev" <alo...@redhat.com>
> To: "Simon Grinberg" <si...@redhat.com>

Completely stateless is problematic because if the engine is down or
unavailable and VDSM happens to restart you can't use any of your resources.

The way forward is currently to get rid of most of the configuration in
vdsm.conf.
Only have things that are necessary for communication with the engine (eg. Core
dump on\off, management interface\port, SSL on\off).
Other VDSM configuration should have a an API introduced to set them and that
will be persisted but only configurable by management (eg. reserved host mem,
guest ram overhead, migration timeouts).
There should be a place where VDSM saves the configuration of owned resources
(eg. managed storage connections, managed interfaces). This will be use by VDSM
to make sure that the resources are configured properly after
restarts\downtimes without the need of the engine.

To reiterate, the general logic for system resources should be that resources
are either owned or used by VDSM, you never share ownership.
Never assume ownership unless expressly given. VDSM has complete control over
owned resources. VDSM has NO control over unowned resources, he can use them
but never configure them.

Every other hybrid scheme is just asking for trouble.

> Or, store configuration before we perform any change so we can
> revert.
>
> Assuming manual changes and distro specific persistence make the
> problem complex in factor of np complete, as we do not know what was
> changed when and how to revert.
>
> Itamar though a bomb that we should co-exist on generic host, this is
> something I do not know to compute. I still waiting for a response
> of where this requirement came from and if that mandatory.
It's all about resource provisioning and ownership delegation.